Monday, April 25, 2011

Writing A New Script

Actress / Filmmaker Sandy Kellerman hiding from the camera
which loves her more than she knows.
     So, I'm writing a new script.  No big deal, I write every day.  Most people who know me know that I have more scripts, teleplays, plays and treatments laying around than I know what to do with.  Recently a friend asked me why I didn't submit my work to the studios or through agents and agencies.  My answer was pretty simple;  I plan to make all of my movies.
     I'm serious.  I've never written a piece that I didn't plan on producing at some point in my career.  With that said, I have done work for hire on shows like Reality Racing, Feelin' Good, The National Sports Schedule, The AOF Channel, a children's script, a couple of scripts for small production companies and a little clean up work on other people's projects.
     The point is, what I write, I plan to produce.  My stories, my movies, my way.  Anyway, the new script is about a bouncer too old to do the job anymore but finds himself forced to do something even harder and a lot more dangerous to maintain his own integrity.  I can not wait to make this film.  I can not wait to tell this story, I can not wait to see it on screen.
     I was having lunch with AOF Filmmaker Sandy Kellerman and she asked the question, "We've heard all the stories, but did we get all the points of view?"  That statement really made me think about my own writing, originality, passion, ability and purpose.  When we write, are we following someone else's process and telling someone else's story or are we telling stories with our own unique, insightful and introspective point of view?  The only point of view -in my opinion- that really matters.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Both you, and Sandy, are giving all writers something to think about. Now, to go back to my own scripts and ponder the same questions you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,

    Thanks for the post. It's a reminder to me to write the story that I want to write. Yes the audience is important, but it starts with me and my idea and how I communicate that.

    ReplyDelete